Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 16:09:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
I have seen a proliferation of small queen breeders and more beekeepers producing their own 
queens in the last 2-3 years.  Some of these new breeders/producers have a superior product as 
compared to the conveyor belt queen producers or queens produced from "commercial non-
resistant stock"  

Between russian, VSH and survivor stock there is a small but growing pool of genetics that can 
offer an important tool for dealing with varroa which allows for the elimination of hard chems and 
even soft treatments. 

I believe this will create positive change on the sideliner/hobbyist side of the industry and slowly 
trickle over to the big boys. On the commercial side my sense is some significant percentage who 
do not adapt will be gone within a decade.  Just like the non-resistant stock maybe it will be for 
the best although there is no glory in someone losing their income and livelihood. 

As other areas of agriculture and commerce have gone through radical changes I expect this is 
occurring now in our industry and the future looks brighter to me then the past decade. 

IMO the doom and gloom squad is resistant to change,  and some of them will go down the swrily 
with the ship rather then change. 

When something is not working you can either keep hitting it harder with the same hammer or 
look for new and different ways to make things work.

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2