From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:31:46 EDT
Regarding pollen samples from CCD hives, Bob indicated that a pesticide
report was soon to be released and he also said: "Many pesticides  was  what I was
told.  *If* fact then pesticide issues might move from number  four on their
list to number one!"

I'm afraid the last statement is speculation.  I've not seen the  detailed
report from PSU, but I did receive a summary some weeks  ago.  As I remember, a
variety of pesticide residues were found in CCD  pollen samples.

That's exactly what should have been seen.  Every broad spectrum  pesticide
environmental sampling program for bees and pollen that I have seen  (or
conducted) since the 1960s has revealed traces of many pesticides in  virtually all
bee and pollen samples.  And, its not just pesticides.   For example, we've
never found a bee sample that did not contain traces of PCBs  - anywhere in the
U.S., over 20+ years.

If CCD hives had not displayed a variety of pesticide residues,  that would
have been a clear indication that the lab study lacked appropriate  sensitivity
for these chemicals of interest.  So, the encouraging news is  that the lab
reportedly did find what one would expect it to find - traces  of lots of
pesticides in pollen samples.

Pesticides leave residues, and many of pesticides are  commonly used - from
wide-spread crop applications to the little garden on  the corner.  In the
1980s, we found that in urban areas, the more  affluent the neighborhood, the
wider the diversity and the higher the  concentrations of pesticides - presumably
because rich folks can hire lawn and  garden firms to spray everything on a
regular and frequent basis.

What I'm interested in seeing in the final pesticide report will  be the
concentrations of residues in pollen for each identified pesticide, and  whether
there is a common denominator among CCD colonies - i.e., same  pesticide in all
CCD samples.  Also, was there any relationship between  severity of observed
CCD and the types/concentrations of pesticides seen.

With pesticides, dose and duration of dose is important, not simply
presence.  So, it will remain to be seen whether pesticides move up on the  list from
number 4 to number 1 as Bob predicts -- and I might add, I don't  think that
the CCD Working Group has necessarily assigned a priority  order to the list of
4 possible CCD causes - that's something others are  reading into the USDA
action plans, discussions.

Jerry