From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:23:45 -0400
Chris said "This seems odd. Comb honey is simply unfiltered honey + the wax
container.
How is extra pollen added by the extraction process?"

Extra pollen is not added by the extraction process, but there is another
reason why extracted honey 'often' contains more pollen than does comb
honey.  Bees store pollen immediately adjacent to brood.  As comb honey is
normally produced quite seperate from brood, pollen is normally not stored
in the cells where comb honey is stored.  But watch the word 'normally'.

I have certainly seen situations where comb honey supers contain ample
amounts of pollen.  Storing pollen in combs not immediately adjacent to
brood seems to be genetic.  When one has a hive that does it...they do a lot
of it.

25 years ago our local standard for comb honey included 'no pollen in cells
of comb honey'.  We would discard combs containing pollen.  Today, standards
have changed and combs containing some pollen are eagerly sought!

And speaking of 'normally', I absolutely never use queen excluders in the
production of Ross Rounds and often go an entire season (thousands of
rounds) without a single larvae in the combs.  But today a customer told me
he put three supers on a hive and the queen filled the top two with larvae,
and did not lay in the super nearest to the brood nest!  In more than 25
years I have never seen more than a few drone cells along the bottom of
sections, and this first-year producer gets two supers full.  Go figure.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.