Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:19:54 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Looking in the archives I have not found any discussion relating to using instrumental insemination of queens and their longevity in the hive.  I have heard comments about II queens not being as long lived as free flight mated queens in the hives, and other comments dismissing this allegation.  What has been the experience of those of you who have used II in your queen production?  Is II a viable alternative to free flight mating in your estimation?  The reason I'm asking this question is that it is predicted that the AHB will be in our area within the next five years or so and when that happens, strict control of our queens will be a requirement in order to maintain our hives.  I'm contemplating taking Susan Cobey's II courses in an effort to provide my area's beekeepers with queens of know linage and known mating.  If II queens are not a viable alternative to open mated queens then I don't want to spend the money, time, and effort to provide II services to my area.

Mike in LA  (Lower Alabama)

---------------------------------
Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight? Preview the hottest shows on Yahoo! TV.    

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2