From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:13:42 -0600
Perhaps Tim's response was too brief.

Testing by our CFIA (and I believe the US FDA) of the paint "inside" the
drum does not show any lead, however some of the paints used on the
exteriors do. Care must be taken when the barrel is filled or opened.
Flipping the lid upside down on the empty or filled drum (to insert the
gasket for example) can drop exterior paint flecks inside. Debris (including
flecks of exterior paint) can be sucked in onto the honey when the barrel is
opened if there is no barrier such as a barrel liner or even a piece of
plastic under the lid.

The FDA have detained and rejected loads entering the US where flecks of
lead base paint were found on the top of the honey.  Those originating in
Canada were not allowed by CFIA to return.   In the latest case, it is my
understanding that the barrels were manufactured or at least reconditioned
in the US.

David Tharle
Ardmore, AB
Canada
"Where now there is 2 feet of snow on the ground again."