From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:32:31 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<Varroa is not the problem. It is the virus. So you can keep  Varroa
levels low and call the bee Varroa tolerant, but, if KBV, IAPV or  any of
the other variants are there, with just a small added push (winter
cluster, nutrition, dysentery, etc.), the combination of virus and
Varroa will cause bee mortality.>>

I wonder whether all bees are equally susceptible to viruses. Last  year I
had a major influx of mites from other people's collapsing hives,  and as a
result had an outbreak of DWV. One hive had it much worse than other  hives of the
same strain right next to it, and promptly died out. This makes me  wonder
about virus resistance; has any work been done on possible variations in
susceptibility?

Regards,

Robert Brenchley,
Birmingham  UK