Condense Mail Headers

From:
John & Christy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:13:41 -0600
Bob wrote:
> Are you saying if we take some of your genetics and raise queens all our
> varroa problems will go away? We can start introducing into the wild?The
> varroa tolerant will remain even if open mating is allowed?
>
> I would be willing to test some queens. However I have not got the 4-5
> years to wait so would use added varroa presure (similar to Purvis
> Brothers method) to test.

Bob,
I have a proposition for you...I think you are from Missouri, so this should
be right up your alley.

If I could get about 10 queens together and send them to you in the
June-July would you be willing to go along w/the following?

1)  You do not have to pay me any for the queens at all-period. However if
after a year+, you are pleased with what you see,and you feel that they show
substantial varroa resistance, I wouldnt refuse a check for $100.( I
normally sell them for more than that but this informal study would be
helpful in assesing where I am)

2)I would ask you not to treat for varroa in any of these for a year+. I
would also ask for a genuine attempt at measuring the honey production vs
surrounding hives be made.

3) It would also be nice if done in  conjunction with rqueening at least
some of the surrounding hives with other
stock.

I would appreciate your response...let me reiterate...I make no demands if
send you these queens.

I would like to see what would happen. It would help me in assessing the
resistance of these queens under your conditions.

Allow me to reiterate: I dont claim varroa free or even no varroa damage.
What I have observrd in my hives (and I have at least 100 of my hives 4
years + w/o treatment and all my hives are doing well as a whole) is that my
honey production seems to compare well with those whose hives were treated
annually. I also do not treat my hives on a preventative basis
w/antibiotics, but only upon discovery of brood diseases. If you wanted to
really put them through the paces you could follow this pattern.

Tell me what you think.

John Horton