From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 08:04:00 -0400
John Goodman wrote:

> I have got the bees to move the brood up to the new shallow boxes with
some difficulty

Hi

You don't say how many boxes you intend to use for the winter hive. In this
area, where winters are quite cold, it is not uncommon for beekeepers to
winter colonies in three deeps. Two would be more usual, of course.

In your case, I would place one deep and two shallows on top with no
excluder. The bees will gradually abandon the lower box, and if they need
the honey and pollen from it, they will go down and get it.

It is quite abnormal for a hive to have honey below the brood nest or
between the entrance and the brood area so they should remove most of it
over time (it is more secure above the brood and away from the entrance).

pb