From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 13:09:32 -0400
Did a little research to try and find where I had read about glucose oxidase and its concentrations in ripe
honey and it was the Hive and the Honey Bee in the Acids section of the Honey chapter.

Its concentration is a function of the time the bees have to add it to the ripening nectar, but I was wrong in
my second reply- that it could still work after capping.

To quote- "The considerable variation in the amount of acid in honeys perhaps reflects the time required for the
nectar to be completely converted to honey under differing conditions of environment, colony strength, and sugar
concentration of the nectar, since the activity of glucose oxidase in full density honey is negligible."

When nectar comes in, it is regurgitated by the bee, picked up by a house bee and moved to a cell. It is then
moved again by the house bees to speed drying. If drying is fast, there are less moves and less visits to the
bee's honey stomach, hence less add-ons.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine