From:
"Hoffman, Roger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:00:25 -0400
I live in south central NY and have 8 hives (6 Italian and 2 carniolon).
2 of the hives (Italian) this year I checkered and went 3 deep them.
These 2 really took off and did very well with the locust flow this
spring.
I checked one of them last night and they were the NASTIEST bees I have
ever dealt with. The bottom 2 deeps were FULL of nasty bees but no
brood, or honey, and very little pollen). They were light and empty
except for the nasty bees. The top deep had quite a bit of brood(capped
and uncapped)and honey in it as well as the first honey super above it).
Then there were 2 full and capped supers followed by a super full of
empty foundation which they had not touched in 2 months.
I was wearing a suite over a long sleeve denim shirt and jeans and I
must have still been stung a dozen times thru it. I even entertained the
thought at one point during the inspection of just getting the hell away
from that scene. It was nasty. The bees just boiled up from the bottom 2
deeps  when I separated them and went at me.
I figured I needed to reconfigure the hive so I move the deep w/ the
brood to the bottom and put the 2 other deeps on top. I then placed the
super w/ foundation on top of those followed by the 2 capped supers and
then the super that had brood in it. I tried to make sure the queen was
not in that one. I was hoping the brood would hatch out and then honey
would back fill behind them.
Any suggestions on what I SHOULD have done with the above situation?
Why were the bottom 2 deeps devoid of everything except bees? This is
late August with the knotweed and golden rod is just coming into bloom
here. I would have thought by now they would have placed quite a bit of
honey in the brood nest. As it was there was only 1 deep had honey and
brood in it. Should I have removed the 2 supers after they were filled a
couple months ago? What is the best way of requeening this hive given
their aggressiveness? I have heard that mixing Italian and Carnialons
can create a nasty cross? These look mostly Italian. I goal is to go
mostly w/ Carniolan but only 2 of my 5 requeening attempts succeeded
this spring. Does anyone know a good late season supplier of queens?
I would appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions.

Thanks

Roger Hoffman