From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:47:12 -0400
>Interesting.  Vitamin C is anti-viral.
Yes WEAKLY anti-viral. Thats why I said LOTS
(C has little effect on bacteria or other parasites so...)

>How do you administer it
Dissolved in feed, drench to keep (as much as possable) in brood area

>in what doses?
<1gm to 3-4gm (dependant on strength), ideally /day
In reality, weekly

>Does C negatively impact the bees themselves?
No?  I get the sense that they (dimly) realize
that this is 'better'

Like Langstroth I like to 'bribe' the bees at
nearly every opportunity.  They are so bribeable,
it makes them happy, why  not
As behavoir mod it is futile due to thier
short life.  They learn quickly, then die

All the nay-sayers had steam coming out of my ears.
Later I thought   'when they have to eat crow will
they do it with "grace"? and laughed'

And BTW is someone else looking for symptoms?
Where Joe? I would like to be less 'lonely'

Recently a few bees in a few hives (3) showed
trembling symptoms (normal looking otherwise)
Think waggle dance, whole body, not so extreme
(as waggle).  This is not a widespread symptom

Then I looked at the # of the ccd box on top (of 2)
and said  'Aha, I thought that was the most infected'
Amusingly one of the boxes had a frames worth of empty space,
the queen thought (mistakenly) that it was OK and
went up and laid it full
Silver lining, this gives opportunity to test new treatment

I have NO confidence in SO2

Also I get the sense that formic IS a treatment for ccd,
aside from its miticide action
I had that feeling a few months ago,
but its a weak treatment, I'll rate it at 15

As I said to Randy re ants

Maybe ant scout gets quickly confused, can't find way back
and gets sick enough to get lost = lack of scouts???
It would be a cheap experiment, ccd box over terrerium (& control)
earwigs are NOT effected by X

There are several other cheap experiments
but I have no budget.

If I knew that I was going to end up "lead researcher"
I would have documented better,  who knew
LOOK IN ARCHIVES

dave