From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 01:54:34 +0300
randy wrote
> His understanding was that in the country he visited (some northern
> European), agriculture was heavily subsidized. Farmers received credits
> toward their subsidies if they maintained a percentage of their land in a
> "natural" state. The system was totally voluntary, and the farmers loved
> it.

I can confirm this as I am one of the farmers who get these subsidies. The
system is the same for almost all EU, but there are several ways to do this.
For example farmers can leave some meters unfarmed along the rivers and
streams and larger ditches along the fields. This grass area must be cut
once a year. If farmer wants he can widen these strips to be 10 - 20 meters.
Main reason is water protection, but it protects all natural diverstity as
well. I get about 800 euro / hectar for this when combined with less
fertilization and restrictions in herbiside and other spraying. Its
voluntary, but the subsidity money is so essential for farmers income that
almost everyone does is as it is a financial must.

Also there is a payment for not farming part of the fields. Letting them be
on grass and just cutting once a year. If these field are planted with
wildlife forage the farmer gets a bit more.

Ari Seppälä, beekeeping advicer, beekeeper, small farmer

Finland