From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:15:54 -0700
Hi All,

I received a letter from a prominent member of the CCD working Group, who
wished to remain anonymous due to funding issues.  Here are some excerpts:

"[A certain critic] needs to [stop talking], CCD was added to the Pollinator
Train that was already leaving the station, not the other way around.

"... we need to speak with a single voice/agenda to Congress.

"The staffers can not push the urgency, if USDA doesn't acknowledge the
need, and if the industry doesn't raise a hue and cry.  Congress folks
respond to LOTS of input -- i.e., voters.  Reps of organizations may speak
for the associations, but its the input from the rank and file that really
gets attention.

"That said, smart staffers pick out folks to use as sounding boards - and
we've done our best to emphasize that the first priority is to help an
industry that is at its limits -- 40% of our respondents saying their losses
from all causes over the last 16 months was severe is a disturbing
statistic.  CCD may be the attention getter, but the surveys indicate just
how badly we have failed - whether its mites, poor diet, climate - we've let
the industry slide toward self destruction.

"As per the native pollinator folks -- the public is sympathetic to
pollinators, and some are prettier (depends on your background) than bees.
But it doesn't matter, as long as the public is concerned about pollinator
loss (all pollinators), the Congressional folks know that they won't get a
backlash for supporting a small special interest group.  Remember, voters
(especially urban folks) don't necessarily understand or support ag
subsidies, but suddenly, saving the pollinator has transcended those petty
interests."

It really appears to me that it is in the best interest of the beekeeping
community to capitalize on the "Save the pollinators" feeling of the Public.
We can best do this by working in harmony with the native pollinator folk.

Another news release of interest:

USDA Announces Colony Collapse Disorder Research Action Plan

WASHINGTON, July 13, 2007 - U.S. Department of Agriculture Under Secretary
for Research, Education and Economics Gale Buchanan today announced that
USDA researchers have finalized an action plan for dealing with colony
collapse disorder (CCD) of honey bees. The plan can be read at
www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/ccd/ccd_actionplan.pdf.

Randy Oliver