From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:40:28 -0400
Hi Guys,

I've found that higher natural mite drop doesn't necessarily correlate to
more mites. There are just too many variables with both the mites and the
bees. Initially, my small cell hives natural mite drop sometimes exceeded
the natural mite fall, in my other hives, by a magnitude.

It seemed obvious, due to mite damage, etc. that those small cell hives were
cleaning the mites out. But to be sure, I developed the varroa blaster. It's
just a modified plastic bottle that facilitates powdered sugar dusting. With
a screened bottom board, a colony could be dusted. And a better idea of the
relationship between natural mite fall and total mite count obtained. I used
successive treatments to get a handle on the number of sealed mites.

It beats killing and counting.

Regards
Dennis