From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:25:10 -0400
Dave Thompson wrote:

> [...]
I surely can't be the only one on this BBS with CCD?<<<

     I'm responding because I used that very phrase a few months ago.
I had 15 colonies in one yard and lost all of them over the winter. The
deadouts contained small clusters etc. Could just be winter kill here in CT
except I lost 5 in Oct/Nov very quickly. One surviving colony in Mar 07 that
had a handful of bees and a queen were tested by 2 labs... and came back
negative for T-mites, Varroa and Nosema. I had them tested because some
K-wing was evident. The kicker is that these bees are permanently located
and outside of a few packages, had no contact with other bees.
    It's just too ironic that I spent time in Fl working on an ABJ article
on CCD and came home to the losses. On a small scale, I think I know how you
feel.
    I actually feel embarrassment, just writing this, right now. I must be a
bad beekeeper! There are those on this list and elsewhere just crouched and
ready to pounce and explain that to me. Actually I'm my own worst enemy on
that score and have gone over my practices carefully.
    The polling of data on CCD has been a large stumbling block for the
researchers. I have wondered at this. I did ask a large 'keeper in Fl if he
had any CCD losses. His response? "I wouldn't tell you if I did." He knew I
was gathering info for an article. I reasoned that he may have had good
reasons for his reticence.
    1. Stating your losses is a lot like giving the world a financial
statement.
    2. Pollination customers could become insecure knowing that disease had
been found in his bees.
    3. He may have been scrambling to buy/rent enough bees to cover
contracts and didn't want folks to know he was wounded.
    4. There's a lot of mistrust and resentment among some beekeepers with
the government forces. They had no recommendations anyway.
    5. By the time a guy is big enough and has been for years, there's
arrogance that he can handle his own problems.
    6. Asking for, or admitting the need for, help can be a sign of
weakness. See 5 above.
    7. Looking for a loan to tide one over would seemingly be more difficult
if ones banker was reading about your diseased bees.
     I'm sure there's more.
     Since I mentioned Dave Hackenberg in my writing I want to specify here
that I'm not talking about him. He's to be commended for his courage. I
visited the hives of five affected beekeepers and several who were
unaffected in early 07.
     So, while it's lonesome out there Dave, I think that those reporting
CCD are perhaps the tip of the iceberg. It takes a lot of confidence to come
forward. I think we can assume the secret sufferers are listening though.
Anyone want to come forward?

Dick Marron