From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 11:32:54 -0500
Hello John & All,

>Thanks for the queen handling technique Bob, will attempt it as I am not
very good with handling them.

Practice with drones. Drones buzz and are harder to hold. Queens will try
and act like they are going to sting which bothers many. I have never been
stung by a queen but although rare it has been reported I completely ignore
the queen curling like she is going to sting.

Many people hold the queen different to mark her but I learned my way from a
queen cager for one of the largest queen producers. If she is trying to
twist between your catch fingers most likely you have not got her correctly.
When done correctly you should see.
1. queen caught and not moving but abdomen curled up
and
2. six legs trying to grasp hold of something.

When you move your free  hand thumb close you will see her grab hold of the
free hand thumb with all legs. Then vary carefully pin 3 legs of one side.
Only when the 3 legs are pinned release the "catch" hand.

She will relax and wait to be painted. Reach for your marker and carefully
place a dot. Many wait for awhile before releasing her but I do not (time is
money).

When I release her I have a little kind of toss I do which is hard to
describe. Queens always land on their feet ( like a cat). The "drop" from a
couple inches and disorientates the queen and most sit quietly for a few
moments while I replace the frame in the hive. I like to be able to see the
position on the frame of the queen when replacing the frame to prevent
mashing etc.

Many times I have pondered the queens thoughts during marking. Perhaps

"doesn't that ---- --- beekeeper have respect for royalty!"

There are many ways to mark a queen and the above method was not the method
taught by Marla. Holding the queen between the fingers and marking is the
method many use ( I think both Marla & Dann Purvis mark bees using the
method) .

 The only problem with that method in my opinion is you need to release
pressure on the queen and get another hold. Queens can twist free and fall.
I am not saying my method is better or safer on the queen during marking
than any other but only the method I prefer.

>.By the way I have been praying for your speedy
recovery.

Thanks! I went to two bee yards yesterday to verify queens ( make sure
queenright) in splits and package bees. One yard had 24 hives and the other
25. I found one queenless in each yard ( will install a nuc from the nuc
yard soon) but no sign of disease or a drone layer. I have been worried
about what I would find but the bees looked good.

I love the bee yards! Spring is busting out! Bees are excited and building
up! I saw nothing unusual so am happy. Raining today so will work around
here ( I can't lift over 15 pounds) but will go verify queens in other yards
if the
sun comes out until all verified.  I am always amazed that a small ball of
bees can turn into a huge colony in a couple months!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--
believed to be clean.