From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:08:16 -0500
Before anyone gets too excited about the 'lack' of vegetation in Almond
orchards, please keep in mind that there is also little to no extraneous
vegetation in modern Apple orchards or vineyards.  My understanding is that
the vegetation 'steals' water and nutrients and the lack of such vegetation
does no harm to the crops.  The vegetation also provides a place for rodents
to hide, and requires mowing or some other control to keep woody items out.

Most farmers I know who run apple orchards and vineyards would be happy if
they could eliminate vegetation with two spraying of Roundup a year.  But
they cannot, so sometime in the late summer they let the vegetation grow and
in a few weeks one would never know that the earth was bare during the
spring and most of the summer.

For all I know orchards of peach, necetarine, plums, cherries, etc. are the
same.  They are not grown around here, so I am not familar with them.
Brambles and strawberries are very subseptible to Roundup, and weed control
is the biggest challenge and most expensive item in growing them.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.