From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:09:26 -0600
>3 lbs. white corn syrup

>Does anyone know the reasoning for using both corn syrup and sugar?

Are they talking fructose or something else? Never heard fructose referred
to as "white" before.

 I plan on making my candy  in a 50 gallon stainless three phase steam
cooker like they use for salsa or making applesauce. In Nebraska the
beekeepers use those but the ones I have seen  have been converted to
propane. A propane burner under the stainless steel bottom from a water
heater or a fish cooker.

If you find a three phase 50 gallon steam cooker which does not work you can
get cheap ( many times for hauling away) and they can be set up for propane
easy.
The price for a new three phase cooker is in the $10,000 range I was told.
May or may not be correct but what I was told by another beekeeper.

 They can be wired for regular 220 but one of the burners will not work and
they use a higher amount of electricity. I got mine reasonable as the guy
which paid big bucks at a restaurant sale sold to me cheap after he priced
running three phase into his building. In fact he said he ran his add in the
"thrifty nickel" sale flyer for several months and all the possible buyers
backed off when they heard it was three phase.

Does not hurt the machine to run on regular 220.

Mine is  electric and  50 gallons of product come to a boil fast. I have
been told faster by far than propane.

Does the list have a recipe for 50 gallons. If not I will keep trying to
contact a couple beekeepers north of me which use candy boards.

I made spacers for Miteaway two and thought I could add a piece of masonite
and use those . They were cut from old bee boxes  on a table saw and are
about 3/4 inch. I added staples to add strength.

If those on the list are thinking of cutting bee boxes down for spacers (
mite away two , thymol etc.) I suggest an old blade on your table saw and a
face shield (mine came from Harbor freight) as nails do fly out. I cut mine
in the building as I do not want nails in my drive. Nails fly at times but
once the table saw is set it does not take long to make spacers. Try to set
the depth so you cut between nails.

bob

--
believed to be clean.