From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2007 10:46:26 -0400
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Joe,
>     Can you expound on some of the differences in expressed traits that
you are observing?  How are they different from those traits that you see
expressed in you own colonies?

Hello Mike,

It appears that there is a resurgence of micro populations of ferals in
remote areas, with each population occasionally having different
pronounced orders of traits.

I have identified a remote area several years ago that was leading the
feral recovery.  I removed several colonies with massive nest structures
of comb 4 plus years old from this area, at a time when no calls OR only
one to two year old colonies succumbing to varroa were being discovered
else ware.   If I were to describe an area that would be prime feral
habitat, this would be the place.  Abundant large voids in the form of
abandon farms, silos and old frame construction farm houses, massive
border trees harboring voids, a variety of forage types and water.   These
colonies in this area have a spontaneous grooming behavior and are of cell
size below 5.0.   The  line continues to maintain very low mite
populations, and I have not seen the trait to this degree in any other
population of feral or domestic colonies.  In other feral populations
where grooming traits seem lacking,  I will generally see a very high
degree of hygienic behavior and also with small cell size.

In side by side assessments of woodland type ferals against swarm calls
from populated areas, there was NO comparison.  In this dry year that the
assessment  was done; woodland ferals maintained a very nice honey cap and
abundant brood production,  while ferals from populated areas had
difficulty bringing in sufficient nectar to maintain even minimum brood
rearing functions, and showed very clear signs of stress and reduced brood
production.  This is a potential indication of different foraging
behavioral traits existing in the woodland ferals.  The woodland ferals is
where I am focusing my trapping, due to the enhanced foraging behaviors
and the fecundity in the broodnest that does not seem to elevate varroa
levels, indicating other modes of resistance may exist.

Best Wishes,
Joe