From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2007 12:35:07 -0500
Hello Peter & All,

>North Dakota, with an estimated 382,500 hives, led the country in
honey production last year. .

Like the Einstein quote the above is not true. In fact North Dakota did not
lead the nation in 2005 stats. Fifth I think (from memory).

Randy Verhoek of Bismarck said he lost half his 13,000 hives this
year

Miller said:
He believes about a third of collapsing colony disorder is due to poor
management by the beekeepers. "They aren't following the new standards
for hive husbandry," Miller said. "Things have changed."

Does the above mean John Miller thinks a third of his friend Randy V. hives
died because of "poor management " and not CCD/drought problems?

Also every beekeeper I have spoken with from North Dakota said they had
NEVER seen a year in the Dakotas like 2006. John Miller is in North Dakota.
Temperatures in the 120F. range. thousands of hives died on locations not
close to water. Severe drought and lack of pollen & nectar..

Adee article in Jan. 2007 Bee Culture (pg.34):

" honey production wasn't up to standard in 2006"

Not much to glean here but a hint of problems. Those I spoke with were quite
vocal about the empty drums of honey this year.

I do find it interesting how a single beekeeper can be in the same area of
drought and related problems and come out unscathed?

What was the 2006 season and honey production like for BEE-L members from
the Dakotas? Drought problems? Best honey year ever ( or at least average?)
Please share your experiences with us.

Across the South Dakota border in Nebraska beekeepers saw huge honey crops
in the Eastern part of the state. East from the Dakotas saw bumper crops in
areas of those states.

Bob

--
believed to be clean.