From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:09:00 -0400
Well, I watched the PBS special on CCD, which was really about honeybees
disappearing world wide. So, according to them, by 2035 we will have no
more honeybees if the current trend continues. I have no idea what they
based that on.

What was most interesting was how "CCD" has become the catch-all for
anything that is happening where bees have problems. CCD was cited in
Germany, Italy, Croatia, France, Spain, and England. But when looked at
a bit closer, other factors were the cause. The English government was
castigated because it said that GB did not have CCD but some London
beekeeper said they did and were doing nothing about it. Which fits my
original post, that all it takes in one talking head to make a
consensus. The program said there is CCD, hence the one beekeeper is
correct and the government and its scientists are not.

Also interesting that France after the ban was said to still suffer from
CCD like problems. I though the contrary.

The most reasoned statement (statements are reasoned when you agree with
them) that I heard was we are probably looking at a variety of things
that cause honeybee problems. Many of the suspects we have discussed on
this List were brought up and shot down, mostly because, like IAPV, bees
can have it and not suffer from CCD. But maybe a combination of things
cause CCD like problems. If so, we are no longer looking at a pathogen
but at bee behavior in a stressed condition. If so, good luck pinning
down CCD.

That actually makes sense because CCD symptoms are not new. We have had
disappearing disease and fall dwindle long before mites and our current
problems. Their impact on the beekeeping community then was great, just
like today, but without the amplifying media.

As far as scientists jumping the gun to get their papers out first, I
agreed with Jim then and still do, that the studies were poorly
conducted, poorly presented and should have been put on hold since they
were not in consonance with other CCD observations. I also stand by the
problem of some beekeepers looking for a bailout when CCD may not be
involved.

As far as numbers, and that the beekeeping world does not owe me a
number, I am listening to the beekeeping world and have yet to hear
anything that quantifies the actual problem. So is it 1/3 per
Hackenburg, which lead to about 60% total kill last year in the US, 2%,
80%, 5%, or what?  All those numbers have been brought up by those in a
much higher beekeeping pay grade than I. Fortunately, we have not seen
CCD in Maine, so it is difficult to get any perspective.

So, Jim, since you seem to be in the know about CCD and its extent to
date- not for me but for the rest of us, is there a number, what is it,
and what is it based on?

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine