Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:02:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I noticed many northern states listed in a map of CCD.  Seems misleading as any upper midwest 
hives are in -20F right now so any bees from MN for example are not from MN but TX or where ever 
south. So news reports of states affected does not seem worthwhile information but maybe 
disinformation. 

I too question the accuracy of beekeeps being honest about chem use, plus you figure how many 
beekeeps can diagnose EFB or mite related virus failures accurately.  How many so called losses are 
easily ID'd but the researchers cannot visit everyone surveyed. Seems an impossible task to sort any 
sense from this.  To claim even a nationwide problem seems to be stretch considering the simplicity 
of the survery data and complexity of variables. 

Another peice of anedocetal data is many queen and package producers have ample bookings the 
last I checked. Far cry from fall of was it 2005 when we had a massive varroa crash nationwide and 
most packages and queens were booked by Jan 1st. This implies to me that the losess are 
insignificant so far. 

I am impressed at the response by the USDA and research community though as compared to other 
crys of WOLF in the past. 

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2