From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 18:09:59 -0400
From: CATCH THE BUZZ

Funding Request to Study CCD, Pollinators

"Washington, DC - U.S. Representative Alcee L. Hastings (D-Miramar) this week introduced H.R. 1709, the Pollinator Protection Act, legislation authorizing over $75 million in funding for sustained research of the accelerated mysterious loss of honey bee colonies throughout the nation.  The Pollinator Protection Act aims to combat the phenomenon known as Colony Collapse Disorder, which currently threatens more than one-third of all crops grown in the United States.

"'This is a problem that not many people know about, but we all need to be concerned about,' said Representative Hastings today.  "If we want our grandchildren to have food to eat that was grown in this nation, then something needs to be done about Colony Collapse Disorder.  Otherwise, most citizens won't be able to afford the scarce agricultural products that will be produced in our nation without honey bee pollination."

"Honey bees contribute well over $15 billion in added va lue to American agriculture.  Researchers and farmers warn that if Colony Collapse Disorder continues, then its current impact on honey bee colony numbers and America's food security could be significantly destabilized.

"The Pollinator Protection Act authorizes $5.25 million over three years for Colony Collapse Disorder research; $50 million over five years for U.S. Department of Agriculture research grants to investigate specific causes of Colony Collapse Disorder and develop other research on the factors contributing to the general decline of pollinators in North America; and $20 million to ensure that USDA has the necessary staff and facilities to conduct this essential research.

"Bees are critical players in our ecosystem.  They enhance our way of life, whether we realize it or not," Representative Hastings noted.  "If we do not act now, Colony Collapse Disorder will have a stinging impact on America's agriculture industry and our stan dard of living."