From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:02:19 -0700
> I might also add the cost of HFCS is going to rise (heard it first here)

I suppose that this may come as news to some, but, actually, the likelihood
of higher HFCS prices became apparent to most of us who keep up with such
things, way back in the fall when corn reached and exceeded the 2004 highs.

Moreover, corn prices, the effect of the profusion of new ethanol projects
and the resulting impact on HFCS costs were also featured in Kim's detailed
and insightful keynote address at the AHPA meeting in Phoenix.

A quick glance at the chart http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/CN/M
shows, however, that corn prices have spiked before and then fallen back.
Will happen again?  Many think not, but the current run-up may well be
exaggerated by hedge fund speculation.  These funds run things up, then back
down.  The fundamentals seem to indicate that the rise will last, but, then,
life is full of surprises.

If corn prices stay up, then we will see a long term rise in HFCS prices,
but, if the price spike is short-term, then the HFCS producers can protect
their customers somewhat, having purchased their corn supplies in advance.
They have a pretty good handle on supply and demand, and also know what they
can charge without damaging their market, so they will see what they can get
away with, but there is--contrary what some say--competition that tends to
limit increases.  The long and the short of this is that, by the time we
actually need a load, the price may have been up--and back down.  Who knows?

> I believe HFCS is a poor bee feed and shortens longevity in honey bees.
> Two studies done by the  bee labs support the claim. ( USDA-ARS Tucson &
> USDA-ARS Weslaco)

Calling HFCS "poor bee feed" may be a bit too sweeping for some of us.
There are many kinds of HFCS, and some are far better than others for bees.
The best HFCS is pretty well as good as sucrose for most purposes.
Wintering is the most demanding application, and HFCS has proven to be a
good winter feed in Western Canada over many years.

Canadian research has confirmed, however, that there is a slight difference
between the best HFCS and sucrose syrup in terms of caged bee longevity.

I know many large beekeepers up here in the Great White North who feed HFCS
for wintering and have no problems, BUT they are careful, and know what they
are buying.