Condense Mail Headers

From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 23:42:55 EST

In a message dated 3/2/2007 5:51:10 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Just in  case - If this approach was to become recognized as more normal
practice,  then would those who are writing about less accepted material
in the bee  world find it easier to publish?

Peter

Open access for research papers is a great idea - until the other shoe
drops.  Today I received your e-mail advocating open access AND I also  received a
solicitation/endorsement for publishing this way.  According to  the open
access memo that I received, it will only cost me $5000 to publish a  paper --
maybe no more than $1000 if I pay annual membership dues, etc.

And, there's still pressure to publish in conventional journals,  first.
What most folks don't understand, creative writers get paid to  publish their
work, researchers don't.  We have to pay to publish.

 A few journals that sell ads actually publish for free.  Most  journals
charge the author a stiff per page rate -- ever wonder why modern  day journal
articles are relatively short?  Can't afford to publish long  articles. Add
color, charge goes up, etc.

Open access is a nice idea, but it won't resolve anything if it just piles
on additional costs.

Jerry
http://www.aol.com.

* BEE-L is hosted at the State University of New York at Albany.                  *
* Please fill out the Colony Collapse Disorder survey at http://www.beesurvey.com *