From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:50:10 -0400
Aaron Morris wrote:
> http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/ and read before you leap.  A suspect (no
> smoking gun) is neonicotinoids that have become so prevalent in today's
> environment.

I continue to go back to the fact that something like CCD has happened
before. In the link, stonebrood is also noted as a cause and it has the
same symptoms we see today.

To quote:
http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/pressReleases/FallDwindleDisTalkAustin.pdf
Tentative Hypothesis Common denominator is the presence of fungi,
likely Aspergillussp. (stonebrood) Burnside 1930
– Caused infected adult bees to fly from hive and die THIS IS AN
OPPORTUNISTIC FUNGUS LIKELY
ABLE TO ESTABLISH BECAUSE OF ANOTHER
CONDITION

Back when the same problem arose, there was no Varroa or the pesticides
that are being considered today. Stress seems to be a helper, and
commercial beekeeper's bees are subject to great stress. Plus, they can
easily spread problems to another beekeeper pollinating in the same field.

It would be nice to pin the rap on HFCS since Aspergillussp is used in
its manufacture, but the link noted that HFCS was not a common element
in CCD.

Our recent beekeeping season in Maine was very bad with a damp cold
spring and poor nectar flow in summer. We did not get any good honey
until fall, and fall honey is not good for overwintering in Maine. So
lots of stress and poor honey will be contributors to winter kill in
Maine.So might CCD. Aspergillussp is naturally found in soil throughout
the world.

I agree that CCD is real, but the extent of it has not been determined
nor has the cause. Without a cause, you cannot determine the extent,
since beekeeper's have been losing colonies since beekeeping started.
Several of the named possible culprits have been around for as long. It
may be something new, but there are plenty of old "friends" which cause
the same symptoms and my bet is on them.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine