From:
Joel Klose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 19:54:24 -0500
I read Dan Purvis's letter with interest.  In it he presumes a great deal
but on what he bases his presumptions we can't say.  He says to follow the
successful beekeepers who are thriving and in the same breath speaks about
working toward the goal of 50% losses or depopulation. He indicates it's
the same stuff different day yet many experianced beekeepers AND
researchers with decades of success are scratching their heads over the
unique symptoms.  He further mentions distributing good mites and that
a "few" beekeepers are surviving after stating this really is no big deal
and losses aren't that great.  Quite a contridiction since most beekeepers
are still surviving and both his points can't logically be accurate.
Lastly we hear discussion about research money being given to those who are
testing (that would be him right?) and an advertisement for his queens.
Then here on Bee-l we see repeated the implication research money should go
to Purvis since he's already set up.  I would propose Mr. Purvis could be
dead right and should apply for research grants the same as everyone else
or perhaps we could just let anyone with a strong opinion, not necessarily
supported by fact or research, have the money and hope for the best.  I
think too often research comes too late but think it would be a bigger
mistake to give money to private business with special interest and not
expect tainted results.

It's way too early to be jumping to these conclusions.  Many of these
successful beekeepers he speaks of may yet succumb to whatever is causing
this affliction.  I don't doubt the factors he mention are contributing to
the losses but they don't necessisarily add up to his sum.  We have a group
of beekeepers and researchers agreeing there is something different going
on here.  Anytime beekeepers and researchers agree we should stop and pay
close attention.

I would propose nothing is the same in beekeeping in the 2 decades since I
started and for what I know of before.  Many new afflictions have come down
the pike and some have combined to give us new maladies such as PMS.  I'm
certain more are to come, this may or may not be one but more time and
information is needed to draw an accurate conclusion.

I concluded the letter was an add saying "Buy our Queens", I hope that's
all it was meant to be.

Best Regards,
Joel

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *