Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 18:27:47 GMT
>>Also there are many tests which have been done on dribbling in
summer. The effiacy is LOW! Most tests show 40-60% after three
treatments with some brood and egg kill.

It does not make sense to use OA with sealed brood.  Low efficacy and
risk of injury to the queen with repeated exposure.  As far as I
know, no one recommends it.  I would not use it that way.

>>Oxalic acid use around the world is not new news. Perhaps to many
on this list.

Yeap, I read the Russians used it back in the early 80's.

>>Controlling varroa is a never ending problem with the above soft
treatments. You knock varroa back and hope varroa will not raise to a
level at which no treatment will save the hive before you knock
varroa back again.

For sure - until we develop resistant/tolerant bees that are
productive. :)

>>Reports of formic acid eating up the nails in bee
equipment are already being heard out of Canada.

I may be wrong but this sounds like chemical abuse.  The nails are in
the wood and the acid would have to penetrate the wood to get to the
nails.

>>Several beekeepers have questioned my sanity in running a small
cell experiment this season. Certainly not the first time!

Bob, I am thinking of trying small cell myself :) next year since
I've seen 5,0 mm in the center of brood combs of thriving feral
colonies.  It will be nice to see 4.9 mm in action for myself.

Waldemar