Condense Mail Headers

From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:47:32 -0500
Hello David!

Good observation!
I like to look closely at feral nests to try and see (or guess) what is
happening (there is a story to tell in every feral nest).   Looks like the
picture was taken sometime in October or November.  It appears that most
of the unprotected comb has been robbed out, and or consumed, and the
colony reduced to protecting the core.  Also, we might assume it is a cool
day because in picture number three, many of the bees are clustered on the
warm south side of the nest and not many flying.  Interesting also that
the comb was built north to south in this exposed nest.

Looking at the picture, there appears to be a knot hole in the tree just
above the nest.  In telling a ‘story of what may have happened‘,  I like
to think that the void inside the tree was scouted and the main
objective.  But for some reason, the swarm ended up landing on the tree
and built comb there instead of entering.  I really can’t tell if there is
tracking stain or propolis at the knot hole which might suggest this is
where the colony originated.  An old queen possibly unable to take flight,
may have crawled out the entrance and founded the colony right there on
side of the tree!

Getting to your bee space observation, which is really interesting one.
It appears in pic number 5 that the comb space does get a bit narrower,
and comb straighter towards the top, but still not quite as small as the
5/16 bee space.  This ‘larger bee’ space is common in large open air nest
that I have seen.  My guess is it’s either an accidental ‘warping effect’
caused by the weight of many many combuilders attempting measure out bee
space with no firm surface to measure from causing a warp of comb to one
side.  OR, comb is designed wider on purpose.  As the colony expands in
numbers,  there would be an obvious need for a place where foragers can
hang out.  This would be an absolute necessity in an open air nest.  This
greater space may also serve to create a protective shield of many bees
against the elements and predators.  You can see in the pics just how many
bees are hanging out at the parameter of the nest creating a complete bee
barrier.

Best Wishes,

Joe Waggle
Ecologicalbeekeeping.com