From:
bob darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:37:26 -0500
On 27-Mar-07, at 7:45 AM, Dick Marron wrote:

> I was sublimating it. (Heating the powder) I've done this for years
> now
> without incident and good mite drops. This system is not as
> detrimental to
> the bees. I agree with the wrong time of year. I waited too late
> expecting a
> fall crop. Had I been home I'd have treated in Aug. Bob Harrison
> wrote on
> this list that if you don't clean them up in Aug, you are going to
> lose
> bees. SO: clean them up in early spring, then 2x in Aug or so will
> be my
> schedule. Any comments?

Hi Dick & all

My understanding of oxalic acid is that it cannot penetrate the cells
to kill mites there.  Shortly after your treatment a new crop of
mites will emerge.  This is why oxalic is used when there is no
brood. Suggest you treat with formic acid in August followed up with
an oxalic treatment in Nov or early Dec(weather permitting) when
packing hives for winter.  I consider the Nov treatment to be the
most effective spring treatment as you are knocking down most of the
mites remaining.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada