From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:58:57 -0400
>> We DO NOT recommend the use of oxalic acid, or home made hard
chemical mixtures.

> almost reads like a conservative play it by the book kind of government regulator speak. like its not approved by EPA so its damned in the same breadth as home made hard chem mixes.

* * *

This kind of cavalier attitude is what spurred civilized countries to
enact pure food and drug laws. Maybe you should put on your honey
label: "Bees treated with whatever I could buy cheap down at the feed
store; Consume at your own risk."

* * *

The original Food and Drugs Act is passed by Congress on June 30, 1906
and signed by President Theodore Roosevelt. It prohibits interstate
commerce in misbranded and adulterated foods, drinks and drugs.
Shocking disclosures of unsanitary conditions in meat-packing plants,
the use of poisonous preservatives and dyes in foods, and cure-all
claims for worthless and dangerous patent medicines were the major
problems leading to the enactment of these laws. Though the Pure Food
and Drug Act was initially concerned with making sure products were
labeled correctly, the labeling requirement gave way to efforts to
outlaw certain products that were not safe, followed by efforts to
outlaw products which were safe but not efficacious.

* * *

In May, 1969 President Nixon had set up a Cabinet-level Environmental
Quality Council as well as a Citizens' Advisory Committee on
Environmental Quality. The President admitted that he had first been
reluctant to propose setting up a new independent agency. Eventually,
however, he was convinced by all "the arguments against placing
environmental protection activities under the jurisdiction of one or
another of the existing departments and agencies." President Nixon
called for "a strong, independent agency." The components of the new
agency were pieced together from various programs at other
departments. The Food and Drug Administration of HEW gave up to EPA
its control over tolerance levels for pesticides. EPA gained functions
respecting pesticide registration from the Department of Agriculture.