From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:31:20 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<The cell sizes that Dee quotes can only be consistently  achieved using
Italian bees or Africanised bees. UK mongrel bees can go  down to about
5.1 mm, which I attribute to the presence a high percentage  of Italian
genes.>>

Mine are, I think, still near-AMM, and while  they're currently on a pretty
random mix of cell sizes, they're perfectly happy  on 5.1mm. I've had colonies
on badly-drawn 4.9 twice, and lost both from queen  failure. I'm not sure
whether this is coincidence or not, but I'll be trying  again, if only to see what
happens. It would be interesting to have a colony  without foundation, to see
what they drew when left to their own devices, but so  far every time i've
tried using strips, I've rapidly ended up with comb that was  so far from
straight I had to start bending it and cutting bits off so I could  get the frames
out!

    Regards,

    Robert Brenchley