From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:46:43 -0000
Adrian:
> After all, when a swarm moves through the air, almost all bees are flying
> pretty much in circles, being led as a whole by bees that have flown
> repeatedly to the target site.

That does not explain the behaviour of a swarm during the time when it is
clustered and scouts are looking for the new nest site.  We can watch
dancing scouts trying to recruit for different sites and then gradually
coming to a consensus with many bees dancing for the same site (to which the
swarm moves - and which we can predict).  All this can happen in quite
strong winds which would remove any odour trails immediately - or even light
winds which would, presumably, send bees off in the wrong direction and
cause chaos!  The wind can be at right-angles to the direction of the chosen
new nest site.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/

* BEE-L is hosted at the State University of New York at Albany.                    *
* Help with data collection regarding Colony Collapse Disorder at www.beesurvey.com *