Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:53:54 -0800
8bit
From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Dennis,
  I am employeed seasonally as an Apiary Inspector in New York State. What can I do to prepare myself for AHb? Is it possible, in your opinion, for Africanized traits ,such as stinging behavior, to be present and express themselves in bees ....   Will we know them when we see them?

Mark is referring to identifying the presence of AHBs in an apiary.   Being from lower Alabama I am taking the onset of the AHB presence seriously since they will be here sometime in the future.  As soon as I hear that they (AHB) have established a presence outside of the Mobile Bay area I plan to approach my yards as if one or more hives have been Africanized.  Currently my plans are to suit up as securely as possible, go through and thump each hive vigorously once to see if there is any reaction.  If there is no reaction to the thumping then I would strip down to my normal beekeeping attire.  If a hive reacts negatively then I would spray the entire colony with soapy water, let it be robbed out or freeze the brood boxes, and recolonize it with European stock.  If anyone else has thought out management procedures for the elimination of AHB in a yard I would be interested in their methods.

Mike  Located 1/2 way between Mobile and Montgomery, Alabama

Yahoo! Photos