From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 06:50:15 -0400
>  if you have hundreds of hives and want to wait for the
>broodless period you do not need to open the hives up in cold
>weather.

One reason I chose the vapor method. Many hundreds of colonies to treat. I
can't imaging ripping them apart in November to treat with OA trickle.

>   if I want to use oxalic I need to get my hives into
>November and the broodless period.  We are using apiguard this year
>The rest wait til November when all hives are treated with oxalic
>vaporization..

Another reason to use OA vapor...you can use it now. Multiple treatments
with OA vapor doesn't damage the bees. Three treatments, seven days apart,
should get the mite levels low enough to get the colonies to the broodless
period in November. Then, one more treatment after the colony is broodless,
will finish the job. I'll know in a few weeks if this is actually working.

I have a range of mite loads in my colonies now...some low, some high. This
should be a good test to see if multiple OA vaporizations will control the
mite populations. I'm hoping in the future, I can control the mite load
using VSH stock...Varroa Suppressing Hygienics (formerly know as
SMR...Suppressed Mite Reproduction). I believe this Hygienic trait is
keeping the mite levels down in these colonies. You can see where the bees
have removed brood, to get at the mites. Removing worker brood with a
capping fork reveals many fewer mites in the brood then non-VSH stock.
Also, there don't seem to be many mature mites in the cells...just the
original female, and a couple immatures. I have been doing alcohol wash, to
determine the mite levels. Mite levels in non-VSH colonies are between 40
and 50%. VSH colonies are 10% or less. Encouraging.
Mike