From:
K&W Jarrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:05:56 -0700
Hello to all,

Boy, this has been a hot subject here on BEE-L.

Here are a few of my own observations,
plugging out the brood nest,
I feed the first round, one gallon thin syrup then wait two weeks, by that time queenee has layed up as much as she is going to and then feed heavier and as much as you need.
When open style feeding the bees, the bees will start filling from the bottom up, just the opposite happens when feeding top or inside feeding type.
It is a very quick way of feeding, a thousand gallons in two hours is no problem.
The ranch I winter on is 40 thousand acres (10 square miles) you do need to be careful not to have other bees near you.
It probably isn't the best way by beekeeping standards, but in this day and age, on feed lot style feeding it is a fast economical way with no labor.If some of the smaller ones still don't get enough spot feed the rest.It is crucial to get the feed down in the brood nest before winter set in because pollen patties are just around the corner.We put medication & fumagillin-B in the mix.If your worry about spreading dieses ,we burn as we find it .
Hope you all are busy pulling honey this fall.

Keith Jarrett
Calif.