From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:09:46 -0500
Hello Kent & All,

>  I'm going to requeen ASAP but has anyone else seen an increase in this?

Never! We use hundreds of kona queens each spring. Justine Danner worked at
Kona for a season and he commented on the gentle nature of the bees.

No AHB genetics at Kona.

Aggressive genetics can always turn up but I suspect the *strong* hive
reacted in defense to you for some unknown reason.
Did you use a smoker? Even a single sting (leaving the smell of venom) can
get a strong reaction from a strong hive with time on their hands.

Requeening is the best solution for a hot hive for sure. If the hive is hot.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Ps. When you enter the bee yard dressed as if going to the beach and the
bees get upset you pay dearly. I use a "bug baffler" (sold by Mid Con)which
has little aggressive bee protection and every once in awhile I need to
return to the truck for better protective gear.