Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:10:37 GMT
>>The lower part of the hive is still packed with honey,
wax, and bees containded within the log.

I'd save it for sure.  Stand up the log and secure it against tipping over with the entrance hole facing south.  Cover the top to keep the elements out - if need be, you screw down a square piece of plywood to the top of the log and staple tar paper to it.

If the queen did not get killed and they have sufficient honey, they'll make it the spring just fine.  In April/May, you'll be able to transfer them into a standard hive.

Enjoy!

Waldemar