From:
Al Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 12:47:37 -0400
I received the following question via my web site - www.bees-online.com :

I have a bee question that I was hoping you could help me out with. I live
in central wisconsin and work as a field inspector for the government.
Lately, in probably 3 or so fields I have run into one very specific type of
bee. This bee has a light grey body and a bright yellow head. It is probably
about 2cm long or so and 3/4 cm wide.

Now normally I wouldn't concern myself with a bee, but these are very weird.
I never see the actual bee before I hear it. As I'm walking through the
field all of a sudden I hear this very distinct little buzz. It is different
from normal bees and flies. Maybe a little higher pitch I guess or
something.....well anyway, I can pick it up and distinguish it from other
noises outside. So I'm walking along and I hear that little buzz and when I
turn around, there is that bee! That gray bee is buzzing back and forth
behind me.

The bee buzzes probably 3 or 4 feet away from me and just paces back and
forth behind me. The really weird part is that it will follow me everywhere
I go! I'm sometimes in the field for a half hour to an hour and the bee will
not leave me alone until I get into my car. It never lands on me and has
never stung me, it just always buzzes back and forth always behind me.

What kind of bee is this and why won't it leave me alone? I only see one at
a time and have run across it at several fields.

Can anyone on Bee-L help with this question ?

Thanks,

Al Needham