From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:38:17 -0400
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:22:58 -0400, Bill Truesdell
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Just one other slight problem with OA either as a vapor or trickle. It
>has not been approved in the US as a pesticide for bees.
>
>It is unlikely that the trickle method will draw much attention since it
>if fairly benign and used mostly by hobby beekeepers. Not so with
vapor
>which seems to be the preferred method by some commercial
beekeepers.

>So just add that to the possible complications arising from an
accident
>with the vapor. The Federal Government will be involved.

Here in Mn the Mn Ag Dept  is much more concerned with commercial
beekeeper's who are using Tactic, Amitraz or other shop rag
treatments. Several commercial beekeeprs were fined this year for
that practive and purchases of such chems are being monitored

As far as the feds are concerned I'm not sure I have seen any
involvement from them dealing with ag chemicals period as most of
that enforcement appears to be at the state level.

Bill I'm not sure I understand your concern as OA appears to be
benign inside the hive regardless of the delivery method.

Is it illegal in this country for  a person to sublime a potentially
dangerous chemical without wearing a respirator?

On a daily basis people in the automotive paint industry ,  farm
chemical application and even buidling construction industry use
chemicals without proper personal protection devices.

Seems like its an American way for men in this country to have a
general disdain for chemical warnings and routinely ignore them.

I grow apples and I am blown away every time I talk to another grower
or go to a conference and see and here the sloppy and ignorant
practices people use when handling chemicals.

I see little difference between an unprotected  pesticide applicator
taking a hit of a farm chemical versus an unprotected beekeeper
taking a whiff of vaporized OA.

The materials may be hazardous but its really the applicators
responsibility to take the proper precautions. Should our fed
government play more of a role in that ? I don't think so . We reserve
the right in the country to kill or maim ourselves as long as we don't
impact someone else.

Thats what the fast food industry, cigarette, motorcycle/snomobile and
numerous other industries base their whole business strategy
on...the ability to take a chance with your health and live to see another
day.