From:
"James W. Hock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:45:14 -0400
>>found my old cell builder gets hot after several manipulations, to hot for
>>a yard full of kids and a dog.  The
> You may want to try using the Cloake Board method or using a smaller hive
> to raise the cells.  I've found >

I used a Cloake Board on a mature hive.  After a few flips they started
coming at me like one of those AHB videos.

>> I have lost most of my new Queens to my own robbing bees this year.
> What do you use for mating nucs?  How big is the entrance?  The first year
> I raised queens I used 5 frame

Last year I used 5 frame deeps with robber screens.  This year I switched
over to all medium boxes, I have a bad back.  I divided medium boxes into
fourths, two frames each with a 3/4 enterance.  I was thinking the entrance
was small enough to defend.  I was wrong, every one was robbed out.  If I
screen the hole, leaving an opening at the top like a robber screen, do you
think the queen will find her way in?

I was being cheap this year, trying to more with less and in didn't work
out.  I should have sticked to the larger nucs.

Question:  In the North East, how late in the year would you try to mate
Queens?  Last year I had drones right up to Christmas.  I'd like to set up
and try to winter more nucs this year.

Jim Hock
Wethersfield, CT.