Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:06:54 GMT
The temp was in the upper 40's to low 50's today and the bees where out flying en masse.

All looked great but one thing concerned me.  For every 30-40 returning bees, 1 would be covered in white dust from the antennae to the tip of the stinger...  In addition, some had concentrated dots on the abdomen as well.  It occur ed to me the dots could be pollen transfer ed from stamen while the bees were getting to the nectar in some unknown flower.  They did not have pollen loads in their leg baskets.

Unfortunately, I could not observe the bees longer...  My first thought was someone out there was either dusting my bees with pesticide (but how?) or they were wallowing in lime or bone meal spred over vegetable beds...  I didn't think bees had a liking for the latter.  The dusty stuff looked almost too fine to be pollen.

Is there a plant that produces very fine, dry-looking pollen at the end of March in the Northeast?

The dusted foragers appeared as vigorous as the other bees.  If there is a massive die-off due to a pesticide, I should see a bunch of dead bees in front of the hives in the next couple of days...  It'd be a shame - my bees have not looked this good in a couple of years...

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,

Waldemar
Long Island, NY