From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 00:44:49 -0600
Hello Ron & All,

> but quickly had to come to the conclusion that it completely fails to
declare what their honey actually contains and how it was produced.

Packers only wish the word "organic" or "Pure Honey". I have had endless
talks with packers.

>Any possible honey  manipulation by the hands of the beekeeper or the D G
plants themselves seems to be carefully avoided.

I would bet that the honey is shipped to DG raw in drums (like all the other
honey they get from the area) and then is processed as *all* their other
honey is processed at DG. Pasteurized & pressure filtered.

 >have not seen written anywhere either how their honey is tested, by which
methods and how often.

I would guess the Brazilian government has given permission to the beekeeper
to use the word "organic". Most likely on the honor system. Don't know.

I am going to tell the list right now about testing. Testing is expensive
and you need to know what to test for. Random is about all there will ever
be unless somebody dies or complains.

>So seeing that so much important information is omitted on the internet
site and labels, I presume that D G is well aware how
revealing and negative such information could be for them.

Packers only want on the label what they are forced to put on a label. They
have got deep pockets and will (and do) fight label reform. They have
successfully fought U.S. beekeepers trying to force packers to stop using
the generic label with 7-10 countries listed as possible sources for the
honey. Labels are cheap in the amounts packers buy. They could easily narrow
down the country of origin BUT they want the U.S. listed as a possible honey
source in those jars. They do not want to put a jar on a U.S. shelf with
only Argentina or China listed as the source.

They are required by law to keep track of the batch the honey came from in
case of a health issue. They know exactly which country or countries the
honey in a run comes from.

Changing the country of origin label to say exactly what country the honey
came from would be a start in label reform (1st step).

Next would be to force packers to put the blend ratio. A common ratio is 8
drums Argentine honey to two drums water white U.S. or China honey. So the
label would say 80% Argentine honey/20% U.S. or say China honey. (2 ND.
step)

> If your observation is right that you in general go more on looks of the
label than what  is actually present in the jar, then I can't understand you
people any longer.

The general public has little else to go on. At least the public is
beginning to read labels!

The National Honey Board passed out bumper stickers at the meeting I
attended last year saying to "read the honey label". I teeny weenie baby
step
in stopping label problems. I voiced my opinion loudly and doubt I will be
asked back.

> Then even more you would have to demand that the
information given on labels is complete and includes a declaration of what
it contains and by which methods it was produced,
including information on added sugars to keep a certain viscosity.

Demand has not worked so far.

> (I sent a request for more information on their testing, but so far no
response!).

Welcome to the club. A court order is about all that will work I am afraid.
About the only way we find out what actually goes on behind closed doors is
when a disgruntled employee quits or is threatened will jail time and turns
witness.

Sure there are plenty of honest packers and they should not take the rap for
the dishonest ones but none of the packers I have talked to want label
reform EXCEPT the packers only selling U.S. honey.

Step 1 & 2 above would cost packers selling foreign honey sales in the U.S.
big time. Many people realize U.S. beekeepers are on the ropes in a fight to
survive. Most Americans will buy U.S. honey if given a choice to help U.S.
beekeepers . However one packer has "product of the U.S." on his label and
his employees say differently. No label police!

When U.S. beekeepers are out of business  maybe China will send hives to
pollinate our crops.

Bob