From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:33:09 +0100
Hi Peter

 > Sounds logical, but that situation is not the same as 'normal' laying
 > workers.

That is exactly the point, we were talking about anarchistic bees being
the likely cause an occurrence of drone brood in worker cells above a
sound excluder, rather than just laying workers, then the thread title
got changed to 'Drones above the excluder' which brought in all sorts of
other aspects.

I think the confusion arises due to the fact that anarchistic bees are
also laying workers, but not all laying workers are anarchistic.

There is also confusion because some beekeepers do not recognise the
difference between the two behaviours.

Anarchistic behaviour exists normally only at very low levels and so is
hard to detect. Odd colonies are found that exhibit the behaviour more
strongly, such colonies are highly prized and are studied extensively,
because the studying is easier, that is not to say that the behaviour
observed in these rare, but well studied colonies, is necessarily
exactly the same as the effect when it is exhibited at more normal very
low levels.

Although the levels of this behaviour are low (say one in 10,000 bees),
I reckon that the distribution of the behaviour is quite wide (maybe one
hive in about twenty).

These sorts of numbers would not give rise to the effect being noticed
very much.

Before you can estimate the effect on diversity of these extra drones,
you also need to take into account the intensity of worker policing
involved and the possibility of thelytoky, which is also very rare (2 or
3 orders of magnitude lower than anarchy).

However small the effect is, it is always in the bees favour from a
'survivability' point of view.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)