From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:01:38 -0600
Hello Dee & All,

>Again, Bob could you fill me in on how they could know this
as fact, if you have already stated very little is known
about mating parameters,

I have always questioned the researcher hypothesis ( I guess based on some
experiments ) that AHB drones out mate Eu. drones. I rather believe the
hypothesis comes from seeing how fast AHb can colonize an area and the
researchers figure the AHB drones must be out mating the EU drones. I went
back fifty years of ABJ & Bee Culture doing research on an article. They all
say that AHB drones out mate EU drones but give no reference to research.

One of the strangest things I read about africanized bees was in the January
1976 ABJ in Roger Morse column.
Quote:
" a researcher from Poland carried africanized queens into Poland  from
Brazil 1960. The queens began to lay eggs in January exactly like the EU
colonies. By May the hives were totally Africanized."

Then Roger goes on to say:
" Most interesting was the fact that the aggresive traits of the africanized
bees were lost in the temperate conditions of Poland"

Roger does not give reference to the Poland study. Does the list know of the
actual study so I could read?

Roger uses the above Poland study to conclude:
AHB could not survive in colder areas of North America without help as they
would not cluster.

Roger next says :
" More important , their temperment would not be the same as in Brazil"

I think the Poland experiment Roger refers to needs repeating today.

<Nice Talking with you Bob again as always.

The same here!

Bob