From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:01:20 +1000
For some reason when I pressed the reply button the reply went directly to
Dick Allen and not the list.  Thought I should send this now as Dick has
replied via the list.

> Also VJ does not reproduce on the Apis cerana that is the natural host
> of VD
> and vice versa.
>
> Hi Trevor:
> Is that correct? Should you have interchanged the destructor with the
> jacobsoni?

 No.  Denis Anderson found that there are different types, by DNA, of Apis
 cerana.  There is one that is the natural host of VD and VJ will not
 reproduce on that cerana.  And vice versa, i.e. the Apis cerana that is the
 natural host of VJ does not have VD reproducing on it.  There are a few
 clues in the following website:-
 www.ento.csiro.au/research/pestmgmt/bees/bees_varroa_main.html#varroa_genetics.html Watch for any line wrap when this comes out on Bee-L. Trevor Weatherhead AUSTRALIA Coming to Apimondia in Australia in 2007?