From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:15:12 -0400
>  I was taught by Dr. Harbo himself after his presentation at an ABF meeting I
>believe in 2002 in Savannah.
>  If a member of the list has tested for SMR it would be interesting to hear
>what their thoughts are. Any around willing to talk?

I began introducing SMR stock two years ago. The SMRxSMR breeder queen, as
Bob says, didn't produce very good bees. But, the SMRxCarni, crossed with
my stock, produced very good bees. Several overwintered 4 frame nucs,
transferred to 10 frame equipment at the end of April, produced 240 lbs
surplus. I attended a talk by Marla in April. She said that the SMR
breeders produced inferior bees, until the SMR content was reduced to 25%.
I guess that's what I'm seeing.

As far as Varroa tolerance goes...I don't know yet. As I don't know Harbo's
methods, I can only go by results...and that takes time.

So, Bob...you say you have bees taught the procedure by Harbo, and "it
hasn't been explained exactly at any presentation." Could you do so here?
Sure would help me.
thanks
Mike