Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:23:28 +0100
On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 17:05 +0000, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> >>It can be useful, occasionally it will yield a  super or two, at least in the the southern part of the UK. The honey  crystallises extremely fast.
>
> Is ivy so common in your area or is it such a prolific producer of nectar?

Round here (Somerset, UK) there's a mass of it within a half mile
radius.  The valley to the north west of the hives cannot be developed
because the land is too steep so it's been left as a mix of wild and
open pasture.  Lots of ivy, acers and sycamore (which I've been told
will be a good source in the spring).

I'm feeding the bees this year as I'm not sure how much they'll get from
the Ivy but boy are they busy at the moment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyinghamster/45015617/

Before I started feeding this year I had put a super back on above the
crown board for them to clean, only to discover they were busy filling
and sealing new stores when I came to swap it out for the feeder :)

--
Mark <[log in to unmask]>