From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:11:45 -0600
> In reference to my comment that "more bee stings" can serve to desensitize
> one to the effects of bee stings, Janet A. Katz wrote, "The statement that
> more bee stings relieve the symptoms is so untrue that it is dangerous!".

Both persons may be right.  There may be different assumptions in regard to
the timeframe being discussed.

* I think that most of us agree that a series of individual stings over
time, days or weeks apart, tend to increase tolerance to bee stings in most
people, and "can serve to desensitize one to the effects of bee stings".
Most of us have experienced this.

* On the other hand, "more bee stings" on one occasion can have the opposite
effect, especially if a tipping point is reached and the body's defenses are
not merely challenged, but overwhelmed, and a bad reaction occurs.

> I too had one ... reaction to a bee sting, once in my life.  It was a
> stressing reaction.  I was hot, I broke out in hives, I itched all over, I
> sought medical assistance.

There are many reasons that people have bad reactions when outside in
nature, besides bee stings.  People have such episodes when they are nowhere
near bees or hives, so it follows that sometimes immune system reactions can
occur in the context of working on bees, but not actually have anything, or
little, to do any bee stings that may occur.  Nonetheless, in my experience,
the bees always get the blame.

A bad reaction can be due to medication (watch out for drugs ending in
'phen' or 'fen' when working bees), a nearby plant, something that was
eaten, an undetected insect bite or sting, panic, tiredness, and -- very
often IMO -- all the above combined with heat and exertion.
Panic and frenzied activity on observing symptoms can also increase stress
and bring on further symptoms.

Moreover, heat reactions can mimic and/or exacerbate allergies, and several
factors can combine to produce a frightening event that may not be
repeatable in the future by encountering a bee sting alone.  The problem is
that these events are unique and thus not understandable, and the prudent
tendancy is to err on the side of caution.  If actual allergy tests are not
made afterwards to determine the true cause, then the assumption of bee
allergy may be wrong, and lead to a lot of unneccessary fear, avoiding of
bees and outdoors, carrying of epi-pens, etc.

Although there is a much higher probability of a repeat episode after a bad
reaction, *nobody* can state with certainty what will happen with the next
sting at a later date.  Some people who have appeared to be allergic due to
a sting on one occasion can later turn out to have merely a normal reaction
(a bit of pain and swelling) on later occurences.

And, although it is rare, people like us, who are apparently quite tolerant
of bee stings can suddently present with a life-threatening reaction, with
no warning.

It's a crap shoot, and the odds are somewhat known.

>> Up to 5 percent of Americans are at risk for severe, potentially
>> life-threatening allergic reactions from stinging insects,

> As a degreed mathematician and statistician I am keenly aware that there
> are 4 kinds of lies in this world

Did you know that 95% of statistics are made up on the spot?

allen