From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 10:07:35 -0500
Hello Mike & All,

These are only my general opinions on the lines I have had contact with.
Others may have different experiences. Charlie Harper could provide better
information on specific Russian color lines. Many Russian lines have been
released as well as colors of SMR breeder lines.

>.    What attriabutes have you noticed with your
Russian hybrids?

Results all over the range but two crosses I see potential in.

> I have heard that hybrids of the Russians
aren't so docile.

Some are and some aren't. I have had some carniolan/Russian crosses which
very almost docile to a fault. Also some of the Russian/Russian lines
released are not so docile. Certainly not a problem for the serious
beekeeper or limit the area of their yards. A few of the lines need smoke
used.

  >I have also heard that hybrids of SMRs retain most of
the mite resistance of their mothers.

It is my opinion the above is correct. All the F1 daughters of the
red/yellow  SMR breeder queens have had varroa tolerance. Also poor brood
viability.

 Which queens would you use to make splits?

I would decide on a drone source and add drone comb to the drone source
colonies.

 I would then graft queens from the other lines and then evalute the results
during next season.

I would graft queens from the SMR queen and not use as a drone source.Others
may feel differently.

When open mating you can judge your results better if using the queen as the
basis of your research and open mating as the unknown factor. Instrumental
insemination is the professional way but need not stop the  beekeeper from
improving and doing his/her own research.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison